Tuesday 12 November 2013

Snack Spot: These Tesco Doughnuts Are a Bit of a Dough-No!


I apologise for that terrible pun!

Last night Alex sneaked these into our basket at Tesco, as they were conveniently placed near the entrance with a big ‘£1’ sign. Forgetting supermarket placement psychology for a while I thought “why not?” as I haven’t had doughnuts for quite some time. Unfortunately I was ultimately disappointed, but I'm not sure what you can really expect from a supermarket batch of mini doughnuts that you can buy for a mere pound coin.

But then I remembered Blackpool’s doughnuts, those warm slices of heaven that have a smell that can draw you in from halfway down the promenade. I'm well aware that they're not exactly good for you and are fried as you wait, but I’m a real sucker for being pulled in by a good sweet smell. At least those are nice and soft, the dough melting in your mouth as you chomp your way through their warm inner layer. The doughnuts from Tesco, meanwhile, we're too dry for my liking and didn't have as sweet of a flavour as I expected.

We did make them slightly better by popping them in the oven for a few minutes, in order to try and replicate that freshly cooked batch taste you get in Blackpool. This did make the outcome a lot more bearable, but the flavour was still disappointing.

I'd love to try making doughnuts myself some time, and this WikiHow article makes the process seem quite simple. However, given that I managed to mess up making an omelette not too long ago I'm probably not exactly there ability wise just yet. But that’s part of the reason why I'm writing this blog, to learn from my mistakes (and show to hilarious results) and become a better cook over time. To do that you obviously need to eat – and make – some rubbish along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment